Saturday, November 22, 2014

It's a Party!

I hosted my mom's 80th birthday celebration this week. Twenty-six sweet friends from church and our prayer group joined us.
I chose a "tea room" theme. Each table was uniquely decorated. I purchased some flowers and a few ornaments, and used my own crystal bowls and vases. However, lest you think I am a "Martha Stewart" type, let me set the record straight... a beautiful, talented,  twenty-four-year-old  event coordinator volunteered to help. I am not responsible for what you are about to see. I only took the photos. My creativity was not required.
 




Though not an original idea, I did do this:
 
 
Place some marbles or accent beads in the bottom of a vase. Insert flowers. Fill with water. Add a floating candle on top. Very easy and inexpensive.
 
I hired a caterer. Chef Pennye owner of  MyLeigh's Morsels prepared a wonderful tea room menu. Spring Mixed Greens tossed with Honey Lime Vinaigrette Dressing, Southwest Chicken Salad on Croissant, and choice of Caramelized Onions and Mushroom or Broccoli Cheese Quiche. This plating is served on my grandmother Anna's china.
 
 
For dessert, we ate German Chocolate birthday cake, followed by a chocolate fountain with strawberries, pretzels, marshmallows, and cinnamon graham crackers for dippers.



 
I played "Happy Birthday" on the steel pan. This photo is from July 2007 when I played the song for my husband. I took lessons when we lived in Trinidad.
 


 
Classic tunes from the Great American Songbook (by Rod Stewart) was my musical choice: "What a Wonderful World," "It Had to be You," "The Way You Look Tonight," " 'S Wonderful," "Fly Me to the Moon," and my favorite "Moon River" were a few of the selections.
 
Friends and family members from across the country sent birthday card greetings and memories. My mom, Lorraine, appreciates your good wishes and sentiments.
 
What have you celebrated recently? I'd love to hear your comments! 
 
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment