Friday, April 10, 2015

The Day the Crayons Quit: April "Book of the Month"

Our youngest granddaughter, Sparkles, loves to draw and color. That's why The Day the Crayons Quit, by Drew Daywalt, is the perfect choice for April's "Book of the Month."

 Duncan discovers letters of complaint written by his crayons. All, but Green, have issues. Red is overworked, while Pink feels neglected. Gray is tired; and coloring outside the lines distresses Purple.  Orange and Yellow are in a snit because each claims to be the sun's true color. How will Duncan ever make them all happy and work together again?

This humorous story encourages creativity. I believe it can also provide opportunity for parents and children to discuss how to express feelings honestly and respectfully.

The crayon pictures, by Oliver Jeffers, are appealing. I know if I were a little kid, this book would send me running for my crayons and sketch pad.

The Day the Crayons Quit, published by Philomel Books, is the winner of the 2015 Texas Bluebonnet Award.


What is your favorite crayon? Mine's Blue. And, I like Purple, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment