Saturday, August 29, 2015

Make a Change


I was like a plant lacking deep roots and fertile soil. My relationship with the Lord was shallow and dry. I attended church, but failed to include God's Word in my daily life. At thirty-three, I needed to make some life changes. 


My friend, Carole, told me about Bible Study Fellowship.  Trusting her advice, I visited a local class. BSF uses a four-step approach: daily questions for the week's lesson, discussion groups, teaching lectures, and lecture notes.  I committed to study God's Word, and completed "Life & Letters of Paul," "Life of Moses," "Genesis," "John," "Israel & the Minor Prophets," "Romans," and "Matthew." 


Bible study changed my life. I began using discretion about what I watched on television and listened to on the radio. I read more books by Christian authors. Watered by His Word, my relationship with the Lord grew deeper. My love for God and His word increased. I prayed more effectively.  My faith grew stronger.


Our teaching leader, Sandy, taught us BSF was our training ground. We were there to study, learn,  and teach others.  After BSF, I led Precept Ministries' Inductive Bible Studies using the steps of observation, interpretation, and application with the Bible as the main resource. Later, I participated in studies written by Beth Moore.


Second Timothy 3: 16 tells us "All Scripture is God- breathed and is useful for teaching, convicting, correcting, and instructing  how to live right."  God desires that  His People are equipped for good work (2 Tim. 3: 17).


Commit to study God's Word in your church or community. Invite a friend to join you. Set aside time every day to examine Scripture. Begin each session with prayer asking the Lord for direction and understanding. Put God's principles into practices. It will change your life.


I'm returning to BSF to study Revelation. What will you commit to study?

No comments:

Post a Comment