Friday, May 23, 2014

Beach Vows

After reading an article about weddings in Seventeen magazine, I decided I wanted to get married on a beach at sunset. Jeans and bare feet would suit me fine. Somewhere. Someday.

I never let that dream go.

Fast forward the calendar thirty-five years. Our 25th wedding anniversary was about 18 months away. It was time to make my teenage dream come true. To celebrate our silver anniversary, we would renew our vows on a beach.

The destination- Oahu, Hawaii. Seven days. With our son, daughter-in-law, and three grandchildren.

We planned and saved for over a year. We determined to stick to a budget. Going into debt was not an option. That's not how we roll.

I chose Oahu, because I wanted to visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial; and I've already been to Maui and Kawaii.

I selected Aloha Forever Weddings as our coordinator. Rev. Mark and Diane Yasuhara have been married over 40 years, and performed with Billy Graham crusades.

Our vow renewal ceremony was a Waialae Beach Park. It's a secluded and quiet beach, located near Honolulu. Accompanied by the autoharp, Rev. Mark sang the Hawaiian Wedding Song, and prayed in Hawaiian and English. Placid waves provided soothing background music. After the ceremony, Rev. Mark sang "Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us" also in Hawaiian and English. I splurged on a photographer and videographer to record our special memories. It was a lovely experience. Rev. Mark made it so, and by the time we said good-bye, he felt like family.

 
 
 
During our visit, we went to Pearl Harbor, Waimea Valley, Halona Blowhole, Kailua Beach Park (my favorite beach), the North Shore, Haleiwa, and Hanaua Bay. We attended a luau, and watched fireworks on Waikiki Beach. One day, we had lunch at Rainbow Drive-in. This eating establishment specializes in Hawaiian plate lunches, and was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

It was a trip of a lifetime, and enjoying it with my family was more than teen-age self ever hoped for!


What's your "trip of a lifetime" destination? Why?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so wonderful! "Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us" was one of the hymns sung at my parents' wedding more than 61 years ago. My husband and I are working on some plans for our 30th anniversary this summer. Vow renewal is part of those plans.

    ReplyDelete