Saturday, January 9, 2016

My "Meditation" Journey- The First Steps

My 2016 ONE WORD is "Meditate." After reading Psalm 4, the latter part of verse 4 resonated with me:

"...Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still."
 
I prayed the Holy Spirit would remind me to meditate in the night. During the night, when I awoke, I thought of the baby raccoon that took shelter on our front porch earlier that morning. Separated from its mother, the young raccoon appeared healthy, uninjured, and unafraid of people. It also seemed the little creature was lost and unsure how to care for itself. Animal control picked it up, and it would either be turned out in a field, or cared for by a wildlife rehabilitator until it was older.

As I remembered the raccoon cub, I considered these truths about creation:
 
God feeds the sparrows.
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6: 26.
 
All creatures belong to the Lord. 
"For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills." Psalm 50: 10.
 
Man has God-given dominion over animals.
"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." Genesis 1: 28b.
 
All creation groans as it waits for Christ's return.
"The whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." Romans 8: 22.
 
All creatures will praise God.
"Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!' " Revelation 5: 13.
 
The baby raccoon was alone and out-of-place. It took refuge from the cold, and huddled on the door mat. However, our Creator cares for this little cub.
 
God' people have a shelter when we're alone, distressed, confused, or wounded. The Lord God is our refuge and strength. Our Creator loves and cares for us.
 
As I meditated in  my bed, I considered my Awesome God. I felt peace and reassurance. It is good to remember the Lord in the night.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment