Thursday, September 26, 2013

ACTS of Prayer

Asking God for stuff filled my prayers along with a "Thank you" or two, until a youth minister taught me the acronym ACTS:
 
A - Adoration - Adoration is worshipping, showing honor, and expressing our love to God.
"I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and  my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, and my stronghold." Psalm 18: 1-2 (NIV).
 
C- Confession - To confess means to admit wrongdoing; to acknowledge our sin.
"Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight..." Psalm 51: 4 (NAS).
 
T- Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving is speaking gratitude to the LORD for the great things He has done.
"...We thank You and praise Your glorious name." 1 Chronicles 29: 13 (NKJV). 
 
S- Supplication - Supplication is humbly making a request of  God.
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19: 14 (NAS).

I discovered an easy way to explain ACTS to children at Preschool Sunday School Central:
 
Adoration means "I love you!"
Confession means "I am sorry!"
Thanksgiving means "Thank you!"
Supplication means "Please!"
 
I shared ACTS with my seven-year-old granddaughter, Joy. I explained ACTS is a tool to help her pray, rather than a rule she has to obey. I encouraged her to include each part- even if she got them in different order. Then, I had her write a prayer using her own words. She wrote:
 
"Dear Jesus, I love you! I am sorry for hitting my sister. Thank you for my family. Please help me to cherish your word in my heart. Amen."

Using ACTS helps move our prayer life from not only asking God for things, but also praising God, confessing our sin, and giving Him thanks.


How can using the ACTS acronym benefit you?

No comments:

Post a Comment