Friday, September 6, 2013

Sing It! Helping Children Memorize Scripture- Part 1



David wrote, "I delight to do your will, O my God; your law (instruction) is within my heart." Psalm 40: 8 (NAS).

My favorite way to help my grandchildren memorize Bible verses is through song. Singing helps them to learn and retain God's word quickly and easily.

Using Scripture song DVDs and CDs is a simple way to teach God's Word. We play them in the car or before bedtime. Because the songs are short and repetitive, the children can learn several verses in a few minutes. I use Steve Green's "Hide 'Em In Your Heart" DVD. I used Amy Grant's version of "Thy Word" (you can view it on You Tube), to teach Psalm 119: 105.

Another option is to sing the verse using a familiar tune. For example, sing "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5: 17) to the tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down".  Add the first part of  verse 18 as the last line of your song. It goes like this- "Pray with ceasing, ceasing, ceasing. Pray without ceasing, in every thing give thanks!"

The third way to teach a Bible verse is by chanting or rapping it. Again, using 1 Thess. 5: 17, I came up with this chant: "Pray! Pray! Pray without ceasing! Pray! Pray! Pray without ceasing! Pray! Pray! Pray without ceasing! In everything give thanks! Hey!".

Play a singing game to check the children's retention. For each Scripture song they can sing by themselves, give them a star. When they get 5 stars, reward them with an inexpensive prize. I purchase these items at a dollar store. My grandkids love it when they "win" something, but the greatest benefit of all is getting God's Word in their hearts!

What Scripture memory techniques have worked for you? I welcome your comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment